|Physics Lab Haptic Pendulum Project||A-Prompt||Music Notation|
|Interactive Learning Tools||MathML Project|
NIDE Meeting Minutes
Synchronous Communication Group
September 22, 1999
Present: Deborah Fels, Bertha Acevedo, Carolynn Whiteley, Luo Dongchuan, Laurel Williams, Chris Ridpath
The meeting was held at the Center For Learning Technologies and started at 9 a.m.
- Luo discussed his progress on the database structure design. He still needs some time to research and test the type of database model that will be used. There are several possible models that may work for us. One model involves the Java client communicating over TCP/IP to our NT server that is running the Java Webserver software. Another model involves the Java client communicating using HTTP to our NT server running the Microsoft webserver. Luo should have the design complete within 2 weeks.
- We discussed whether the Java client should be an application or an applet. Currently the program runs as an applet for easy testing. The final version should be in the form on an application so that is more accessible - supports self-voicing etc.
- Bertha noted that she will be finished the first version of the client software by the end of the week.
- Deb showed the questionnaire that will be given to subjects after they have tested the JAM session software. Several comments were given and Deb will be making some revisions to the document. The Ryerson ethics committee will review the questionnaire and should approve it within 2 weeks.
- Bertha demonstrated the Java client software she has been working on. There are 2 layouts for the user interface and we will likely be testing both. This version does not allow for editing of the data once it is stored in the database but future versions will have this feature. Bertha will be in contact with Luo to work out the details of how the user interface connects to the database.
- Carolynn noted that we now have 12 responses from our initial user survey and the results are being reviewed.
- Next meeting scheduled for October 6, 9:00 a.m. at the same location.
J.P. Robarts Library, First Floor, University of Toronto Information Commons
130 St. George St. Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3H1
Telephone: (416) 978-4360 Fax: (416) 971-2629
For additional information please e-mail Laurie Harrison